Chinese Women Dating Rules: Dos And Don’ts Of Meeting Your Girlfriend’s Parents For The First Time
They say holding your breath underwater is the greatest challenge of all, but how about meeting your significant other’s parents for the first time and trying to make a good impression? Indeed, meeting her parents is one of the most challenging things in your Chinese women dating textbook.
When you’re dating a beautiful Chinese sexy girl, meeting her parents for the first time is super anxiety-inducing and stressful. It feels like walking through a minefield. One wrong action, word, step or even look, and you’re done (or, to be more precise, your marriage prospects are ruined).
Dos and Don’ts
For all those who are currently dating Chinese girls for marriage or are looking to date hot Chinese girls on online dating sites and haven’t met their significant other’s parents yet, we have a little guide to make your life a little bit easier (and less stressful).
When the big day comes – the day when your girl finally decides to introduce you to her parents, or you happen to run into them accidentally – follow these 12 do’s and don’ts of meeting your girlfriend’s parents.
- Do bring a gift for your girlfriend’s mother and father. But do be mindful of Chinese traditions, as you wouldn’t want to bring something that is considered inappropriate or of bad taste for Chinese people. As you may have guessed, your Chinese gorgeous girlfriend is the best source of inspiration when choosing gifts.
- Don’t come empty-handed. Yes, choosing a gift for your significant other’s parents may seem like a daunting task, but showing up empty-handed is even worse (and more offensive) than showing up with a badly chosen gift. A decent bottle of wine or some really packaged fruits are good choice for the first time you are invited to someone’s house. However, not like in western world, flowers are not so appropriate for guess to give to the host and hostess.
- Do dress to impress(her parents, not your Chinese Australian girl). Chinese parents are usually very traditional and classy, which is why they would probably not be impressed by your baggy clothes, sportswear or any other outfits that seem inappropriate for a first meeting with her parents. The safest option is to dress like a gentleman (that is, a suit and a tie or bowtie).
- Don’t wear anything too casual(e.g. shorts and sandals) or her parents will not take you seriously.
- Do compliment her parents. Never skimp on the compliment if you meet your young Chinese lady parents for the first time. Compliment them about their home, cooking, hospitality and other things that seem appropriate for a particular situation.
- Don’t be critical and don’t go overboard with the compliments. Even if you don’t like the Chinese food you’ve been served at your girlfriend’s parent’s house, stay away from expressing your distaste. Similarly, don’t go overboard with the compliments, as you wouldn’t want to look like you’re trying too hard to suck up to her parents.
- Do show affection to your girl. Just because you’re meeting your girlfriend’s parents it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are not allowed to touch her or show any other signs of affection. Do show your affection with words and appropriate gestures occasionally to let her parents know that you actually love their daughter. Knowing that their daughter is in the right hands is important for parents of Chinese Japanese Korean girls.
- Don’t make it awkward for your girlfriend and her parents. We get it. Your girlfriend might be the naughtiest girl in a private China videochat with you, but her parents shouldn’t know how naughty and inappropriate your CamShare session went last night. Some inappropriate gestures and actions that will make the whole thing embarrassing and awkward for everyone.
- Do watch your table manners. One of the many things her parents will pay attention to during the meeting is your table manners. For Chinese parents, their daughter’s boyfriend or prospective husband must be mature, socially aware and able to behave like a gentleman. So you might want to ask your girlfriend about the table manners in Chinese tradition before the meeting to be equipped with knowledge beforehand.
- Don’t eat too muchat the table. You may have made the best impression so far. But you don’t know when her parents will ask you a question or simply talk to you when your mouth is full of food. The best way is not to eat too much.
- Do observe Chinese traditions. The best way to make sure that your actions and words go in line with Chinese traditions is to either (a) let your girlfriend walk you through the most important aspects of Chinese traditions that you would need to know when meeting her parents, or (b) be patient at the meeting, wait it out, and learn from her parents (after all, they do realize that you’re not familiar with their way of doing things, so they’ll be understanding).
- Don’t bring your tradition. Let them be your guide during the first meeting. Don’t insist on the tradition in your country or family. You are only a guest here. After all, you are only learning to be part of Chinese traditions.